Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Prayas Experience

Prayas was really a wonderful and memorable experience to me this was first time I participated in any such activity. I went there on 30th Jan at 9.30 pm one day late as there was an exam of my own on same day I took the exam and reached there hastily.
Next day my Group that is Jangira was supposed to do all activities like making of breakfast, lunch and serving it. I was supposed to tell information about Jangira fort while breakfast. So even though I was tired from Exam and journey I studied for that short speech and slept at 2 am to wake up at 4 am but I could not take bath as there were many visitors to the temple (Siddhtek) on that night and they were taking bath so directly went Bhombora 5 km away from Siddhtek on bikes and helped in making breakfast told about Jangira during breakfast and distributed lunch (Bhaat) to volunteers who went to different schools. After that went to primary school in Dudhodi I was very happy to be with children that day. On first day I really didn’t got chance to teach because I was told to keep moving in different classes to guide students by Diwane madam. During the lunch somebody from Prayas group asked to school teacher “Student are very talented sir are there any who are taking the exam of Scholarship or Navodaya?” I was listening the conversation teacher replied “No! This year we have too much burden of census so we are not giving chance to students this year!!” I thought for a while what was the fault of students why there opportunity to appear for exams that might change their lives is taken away?
In afternoon when all were playing Kho-Kho one student of 6th class approached me and said by looking at Bolero standing nearby “My father too had that car!” I said “Oh yes what does your father do?”
“He is died in a car accident, He was driver!” that small boy replied all in a sentence. I felt sorry for asking such question after a pause I asked “Oh sorry tell me what your mother does?”  Then boy replied with innocence in his eyes and with full trust in me that ‘she was killed by his uncle as she was not giving money to him after the death of his father’ it all came to me as shock and I was shattered to hear this. We say that we are a progressive society. How could be such heinous things be prevalent in our society even today? The last question that I asked him was “What you want to be in your life?” “Driver, Just as my father was!” he said. Initially I was shocked and shattered now it was turn to be nervous I wanted that boy to be become everything from Doctor, Engineer to IAS and IPS to Politician. I apologize you all that I didn’t told him to become anything from this I am sorry I was just not able to do that. I told this incident to some of my friends they said the boy might have lied but I when I visualized innocence in his eyes... No he was not lying..! I felt to deny this to lie with ourselves! The name of boy is Suresh and currently he is living with his maternal uncle (Mama). I was so nervous on evening that when all were playing I was sitting alone listening songs. That night I didn’t shared my experiences with anybody.
Next day another school where I taught students about Computer, Internet, History (Especially about history of Shivaji Maharaj) in evening there was street play in a small village. After street play I talked in high tone and recited my poem regarding Terror attack on Mumbai vociferously. That night I was not feeling well as water here was not suiting to me. For next two days my health was not good Pawar sir asked me if want to go back to Pune but I was not a fool to lose such opportunity in life. I went to school with my ailing condition I told to student of 5th class to be supportive as I was not feeling well and to my surprise they were so supportive that they were only making noise to say “Don’t you understand that Vijay Dada is not feeling well today?” Next day it was Dental health check up as well as blood donation so I went to villagers convincing them to participate in health check up and blood donation. One 60 year old villager told me by looking at my Identity card that The Identity card of his wife is lost last week and now she has to pay full fare of buses I understood that he was referring to Identity card issued by election commission. He continued “Will you able to make such a card for her as you have cameras with you?” I replied that we are not authorized to make such cards as we are from a NGO and not from government but the elder citizen was not satisfied he also insisted that we can do that if I wish to do so he was very nervous that I was not doing his task purposefully. He might be hugely experienced with what happens in our governmental offices! Another man approximately of age 75 years was very reluctant to check his teeth when I asked him to do so he replied “What is use of checking teeth now? It’s time to chant name of God and die peacefully!” After coming back to camp where checking was being done the same man who wanted Identity card of his wife to be made by us gave his prescription report in my hand and said “I have been told to come to Pune to take further treatment!” I said “Okay then come to Pune!” the man who was sitting next to him said “It’s just farce. They are doing advertisement! They are checking here and saying to come to Pune so that they can take all the money from you. It’s loot!!” I was hurt from within I said “That is not the truth!” then whimsical old man just smiled at me in such way that I couldn’t bear it. I went for lunch!
On the same morning when I went to a group of young boys in their twenties I was initially shy to join them as I usually don’t talk first to any unknown person but then I said to myself that I am here to improve my personality so I went to them and started taking about health and dental check up and urged them to participate in it. Then one of them handsome looking guy asked me to sit down. Then we talked for almost 15 minutes I explained them about what we did in last 4-5 days what we are doing in health and dental check up etc. They asked me many questions like which is my native place? What course I am doing? What is its fee? Etc. One of them was also interested to know whether I have a girl friend or not? When I said that I have to leave now the same handsome looking guy interrupted “No, you can’t go like this you are friend to us now you have to take a tea with us then only you can go!” I agreed and we went to a hotel in corner for tea. On the last day during the Prize distribution ceremony that same guy delivered the speech on Prayas saying thanks for our efforts. I was very happy to listen the speech of My Friend!!
                                                                              
                                                                                 By: Vijay Netke

3 comments:

  1. really,their life-changing opportunity(could have been) has been taken away.
    atleast we should suggest them not to repeat the same hereafter...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i liked your experience in the words blogs..
    ....let it be result oriented...through actions ....That will be Awesome ...I'll salute you!!

    ReplyDelete