Monday, March 10, 2014

What an Indian wants?


I don't want you to interfere with my right to be what I want to be. I want to lead happy, dignified life irrespective of my caste, sex, region, religion, place of birth or any combination of them.

I want myself to be judged not on my caste or color of my skin but on content of my character.

I don't want be regarded as foreigner just because I am a Christian or a Jew. Being a Mizo, Naga, Santhal, Bhil, Gond or any other tribal I don't like when your eyes suggest that I am sort of less human. I want to be treated as equal with full dignity. I want a say in making of this Nation.

I don't want some people at top to define my nationhood once and for all because I believe India is not something that has crystallized in distinct past, its happening even today. Being is Becoming.. I want to move forward. I don't want my country to be stagnated, filthy and stenching.

As female I don't think you have anything to do with kind of clothes I wear, neither does it give you license to rape me. Being an adult girl from Haryana I don't want to be get killed in name of some fictive honor just because I married to a male of my choice. I want control over my life.
As Manipuri girl I don't approve being called as chinki or prostitute. I don't like when you call me Chinese or Nepali because I am Indian living in Arunachal.

I don't want my sexual preferences to be called unnatural as long as they are with consent of my adult partner. I don't need certificates from extra-legal bodies about my patrotism as long as I am citizen who follows law of the land.

As a citizen I want terrorists to be treated as terrorists and criminals, and not as Hindus or Muslims. I want rule of law. I want equality before law. I want equal protection of laws. I want to tell the govt. fundamental rights are to individual and not to community or caste.

Being a Tamil I don't want to be forced some other language because I take pride in my 2500 year old rich language and that does not make me any less Indian. I am Keralite Christian and I don't like it when some man from Kanpur says i'm outsider to this country because my forefathers have been living here last 2000 years. This country belongs to me as it is to everybody else.

I take it as my right to protest when I am not allowed to drink water from public well or river or lake, or denied entry in schools, hospitals, hotels because of my caste.

I understand my duties. I insist State to be impartial towards its citizen. I am a citizen not just subject of State. I take it as my responsibility to follow laws created by legitimately elected parliament and assemblies. I want efficient government. I want to break up the shackles of poverty, disease and ignorance. I am free citizen and I need freedom from want and freedom from fear.

I want freedom and equality not because I have some sinister designs but because I want to befriend my fellow citizens. I want State to function without fear and favor. I want peace and prosperity.

In short I want a country "Where mind is without fear, and head is held high. Where knowledge is free and world is not broken up into narrow domestic walls"
To continue to the Gurudev Tagore "Into that heaven of freedom. My father let my country awake..!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment